When I first started to look at food that neither contained gluten nor any dairy I felt disheartened: I did not know any “natural” recipe´s! Every dish I knew either needed some major tweaking or was just not possible to do (Well, nothing is impossible is my motto, but in this case can turn a heck of a lot more expensive….). Then it hit me like a sledgehammer! I did at least know ONE natural gluten and – dairyfree dish. And it is so simple that I almost feel embaressed…. So here it is now:
Mom’s Veggie and Sausage Soup [Gluten – and Dairyfree]
- 4-6 potatoes
- 2-3 carrots
- 4-600 g sausage (The more % meat it contains the better)
- one vegetable stock cube (Have not gotten around yet to make my own stock unfortunately)
- salt, pepper after taste
- (optional) Parsley, chopped on top of the soup just before serving
Here s how you do it:
- Peel and dice potatoes and carrots in comfortable sices. Best is if they are equal in sice, then they will be ready at the same time.
- Put them in a large pot (the one you use for soup). Cover with water + 1 cm. Add some salt and put a lid on.
- Boil the potatoes and carrots until they are soft all the way through (Approximately 20 -30 mins)
- In the meantime, chop the sausage in either thin rods or even small cubes
- When the roots are soft, add the sausage, stock cube + as much water as you feel is necessary to make a decent soup.
- Heat it on middle heat until the soup starts boiling again.
- Add some salt and pepper after your own taste. Chop some parsley into the soup just before serving.
This dish is only made with 3 main-ingredients. But just as with the story of the man who made a soup with a nail this is just the foundation. Have fun with it and add other things to it if you feel it might approve the dish!